For my daughter’s 2nd Birthday Party she wanted the theme to be colours. Because her birthday is in March I thought a spring theme would also be nice. I used burlap, twine and white flowers for a lot of the decorations (keep watching for the post on that party! Soon to come!). I wanted a craft that would tie in with the rest of the party. It needed to be fun enough for the older cousins (9 and 10 years old), but easy enough for the little ones. I decided to make coasters out of small pieces of burlap by getting the kids to “sew” them with floss threaders and embroidery floss. It was such a hit!
- Embroidery Floss (I got mine at Dollarama)
- Burlap- It needs to have big enough holes to put the floss threader through (I got this from Dollarama too)
- Floss Threaders (from the Oral Hygiene section of most grocery stores)
- Cut the burlap into coaster sized pieces; or you may choose to make them bigger to be fabric art work. (For a quick and easy way to cut burlap check out my other post How to Easily Cut Burlap)
- Choose the colour of floss you want to start with and put it through the threader. Line up the two ends and tie a knot at the end.
- Thread floss through the burlap, first securing the end of the floss to the burlap.
- Try different colours and experiment with designs to make unique and beautiful burlap coasters. Have fun!
Did you try this craft? Let me know how it turned out in the comments below!