I was redoing our bathroom as a birthday present from my husband. I got to pick the paint colour and new decorations and then he would do the work. I really wanted three old fashioned gilt picture frames, each with a picture of one of my children at the beach in it. I looked in over ten stores, including several second hand stores, and found nothing. Previously I had plain black frames in the bathroom, so I thought I would decorate these with hot glue and gold spray paint until I found what I was actually looking for. But I was so thrilled with the result that I’m going to leave them the way they are! Many of our guests have complimented me on them and asked me where I got them. There’s no higher praise than that!
- Old or plain picture frames
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Gold Spray Paint
- Lots of Time (each frame took more than 20 minutes to glue)
- Preheat Glue Gun (BUT if the glue is too hot it will be too runny to stay where you put it)
- Wash frames to free them of dust, then dry thoroughly.
- Draw designs on the frame with the hot glue (I looked up real gilt frames on Google Images to get ideas).
- Let glue dry.
- Pull off any glue strings and inspect your work. Now is the time to add to it if it needs a little more glue.
- Spray paint.
- Once they’re dry double check that you painted all areas. Because it’s so bumpy it can be easy to miss bits. I missed one spot, and I didn’t notice until I hung it back on the wall. I now use that part to prove that I made them!
I hope you enjoy doing this craft! Let me know how it turns out in the comments below!